Saturday, October 18, 2008

purify the saints alive we're all deprived be careful what you're saying



Ping One Down - Gomez

Thursday night's HISTORIC Red Sox comeback was amazing to behold. I have to admit that I had lost some faith in my boys. They were down seven to nothing. The TBS commentators (who suck in comparison to the NESN commentators Jerry and Don) were pretty well sure of a Tampa Bay victory. I found myself falling asleep during the fifth inning, rousing only whenever there was a commercial. I woke up when Daisuke was pulled from the game to be replaced by Hidekei Okajima. I missed the entirety of his time on the mound. Woke up again to find Papelbon pitching in the seventh, which was like the world turning upside down to me, I was sure I was dreaming. In disgust, I texted Amber to see if she was watching this travesty. If she hadn't texted me back, I probably would have just gone to bed. I had to get up early the next day for work, I hadn't slept much during the week and I could barely keep my eyes open.

Then, the game turned around and by the eighth inning I was yelling my head off in joy, fully awake. We were tied going into the ninth inning. Bottom of the ninth, two on, two out, JD Drew up to the plate. Full count. I was literally on the edge of my seat praying for a hit. If I had been at Fenway, I would have been out of my mind with insanity, it was so intense.

That was a game you could tell your grandkids about.

Now, we just have to win two more. Whether or not the Red Sox go to the World Series again will be decided by the end of this weekend.

As much as I will enjoy the next two games (there MUST be two games), I also wish I was in California this weekend. Ian Ball of Gomez is doing two concerts in the San Francisco area along with Buddy and a bunch of people I know from the forum will be there. Now I've seen (and talked to!) Ian in person, I wish I could go see Buddy as well. His albums are just amazing. I'm so jealous of those who get to see Ian twice in little over two weeks!

I have no idea how I got through the first 31 years of my life NOT seeing Gomez live. Or even the year plus from when I rediscovered them. Now that I've had a little taste, I want more and more. How the hell am I going to be able to wait until next spring when the new album comes out? And how the hell am I going to resist the urge to travel to see them in every city they play in when they go on tour? I find myself flashing back to the concert every time I hear a song they played, remembering those exquisite hours, seeing the crowd dancing and clapping along, letting the music wash over me, becoming completely uninhibited and communing with the crowd who were all feeling that amazing experience. I have to fight the urge to dance when I'm at work and one of their particularly "dancy" songs comes on (like Ping One Down, which they played at the Vic). People at work already laugh at me for bopping my head and halfway chair dancing when I put my headphones on and get lost in a good song. If they only knew how much I have to restrain myself from making a complete fool of myself when the spirit moves me.

I am no poet, but I feel poetic musings when I remember that night. I can't believe it was only two weeks ago. It feels like a lifetime. I can't hardly remember my life pre-Gomez, and post-Gomez and pre-Gomez live is kind of fuzzy in comparison. It makes me admire the other Gomez fanatics that much more for their PATIENCE between albums and shows. I can't imagine surviving YEARS without them, I am barely making it two weeks later!

No comments: