Saturday morning I went with my mom to a big sale at an appliance store. She had been complaining for months that her washing machine was on its last legs. My dad was OK with her getting a new one, but my mom cannot seem to make a decision on anything on her own. We looked at a lot of different washer/dryer sets and I convinced her to buy one she really seemed to like that was easily $1000 less than it would have been if she had just bought it last week somewhere else. After about an hour of walking around looking at washers in this huge warehouse, she was exhausted and had me fill out the financing form for her. Then, we had to go stand in line to actually pay for it and schedule delivery.
We finally left the place two hours after we got there. It was not an unpleasant experience but there were two significant things: the first is that I managed to walk all over this huge warehouse for two hours and was neither tired nor had any back pain whatsoever. The second is that I got flashes of what it is going to be like taking care of my mom in her old age. She's only 57 and she is getting more and more reliant on me to do things for her. Most of the time I don't mind, but I can just imagine that 10 years from now she will be a constant drain on my time.
Today, I slept really really late. I fell asleep around 1:00 am on the couch and woke up at 8:30 to go use the bathroom. I laid back down in bed and woke up again at 12:30. I barely got anything done today, which is annoying because with the shopping yesterday and hanging out with my niece the rest of the day, I didn't get much done at all yesterday either.
If I ever get to the point where I have to care for my mother, I am so hiring a cleaning lady. And getting a dishwasher.
In just another week or so my post-work 90 minutes of physical therapy shit (and 90 minutes each weekend day too) will be blissfully over. Really, it's more like two to two and a half hours worth of crap that is annoying and means seemingly endless hours spent with my mom. I love the woman dearly but when she's already spending so much time at my house to assist me with the therapy, I don't think it's too much to ask that I not spend an hour a day on the phone with her on the weekends. She gets so offended when I'm like "yeah, uh huh, hm" on the phone with her and then finally cut in with "Can we talk about this in an hour when you're coming over? I have shit to do."
I recently discovered the blog Unclutterer through a friend on the Gomez board. It's a nice, short daily blog with tips to get organized. As I am perpetually unorganized, this blog is right up my alley. I will be listing it on my links at right tomorrow as I am lazy and need to get to bed. They mentioned on there that there's a current deal for 20 percent off any purchase at thecontainerstore.com which is awesome (with a code you can get from Oprah's website). I went to the site just to see what they have and found you can buy clothes hangers by the case. Yeah, I have no money, but I've been living in this house for three years and have about 30 hangers total. I ordered two cases. They end up being about $0.30 per hanger with the discount and the shipping is pretty reasonable. I am finally going to be able to hang up my clothes!
For Christmas, we are buying my niece and nephew new bedding for their bedrooms. They each picked out a set they liked out of the J C Penney catalog and I ordered it online for them. I was looking around on the site and found a nice artificial Christmas tree that I liked, it was a slim tree (the type I need for where I can put a tree), full sized and only costs $90. I very nearly bought it, but I held off because I am going to use that $90 towards a new computer. I have finally accepted that the desktop computer that I have (that was a piece of crap three years ago when I got it from my parents) has nearly hit its breaking point. I don't dare load another song from iTunes on it lest it explode and delete everything. I've been shopping around online for a cheap desktop with enough memory to run Vista (my laptop runs Vista and I like it well enough but it does not have enough memory to run Vista as it should be run). I don't have the money to join the Apple fan club as much as I would like to. My sister-in-law's sister is a retired military computer person who built a computer for my brother's family a few years ago. I asked my sis-in-law to ask her sister how much it would cost to build me one. And how soon it could be done because I have a CD swap to coordinate.
OK, enough randomness. I am going to go attempt to sleep now.
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment