Sunday, November 16, 2008
always late to the party
Can you believe that I, a total political junkie, never watched a single episode of The West Wing when it was on? In my defense, I was a senior in college when it started and therefore did not have any time to watch an hour-long drama every week. A colleague at work recommended I see it a few weeks ago and I was all "Yeah, yeah, I'll add it to my Netflix queue." Then it turns out that the Bravo network started the series over again, two episodes a day, starting this past Monday. He told me about it Monday afternoon and so I set up my DVR to tape it the next day.
Well, now I'm hooked.
Damnit.
I suppose this will replace the three hour baseball games that were my obsession throughout the summer. The downside is that unlike in the summer, there are actual television shows currently airing that I want to watch.
I watch too much television, I know that. Compared to three years ago, however, I watch a lot less. I used to tape so much that I would be sometimes weeks behind on shows. I own two DVRs because there are three shows on television on Thursday night that I want to watch that all air at the exact same time: Grey's Anatomy, CSI and The Office. I could cut CSI from that, but considering I've already cut the other two CSI shows, I just don't think I can get through the week without my fix of the macabre. (In my defense regarding the two DVRs: the promo at the time was free standard DVR. I have a high-def TV and so I had to purchase the high-Def DVR anyway, so why not take the standard DVR and hook it up to my old TV in another room?)
Last night, my mom was over and I had nothing to watch except old West Wing episodes (watching them this afternoon while doing laundry) so we put it on the Food Network. Every show was about Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is great, but I'm not that huge a fan in general. Now, of course, I'm craving the meal like mad after watching all that food porn.
At work, someone tried to organize at a team-level a Thanksgiving-themed food day. I led the resistance because I'm just fine with one Thanksgiving meal per year and I didn't feel like having a huge, calorie-laden meal less than a week before I'm already planning to have one. I wasn't alone, but I was the most vocal. The biggest objectors came from people who have to, because of divorce or marriage, attend more than one meal. As if they really want a third meal in that case. The guy pushing for it is a real control-freak and was absolutely not open to anyone else's ideas.
Then, the company announces that they are getting each team a turkey and two pumpkin pies so now the entire office is having a Thanksgiving-themed food day.
I cannot win.
I'm bringing mashed potatoes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment