Tuesday, September 2, 2008

live from beautiful downtown st. paul

ok, not really, I've been home for a while now....

Today was like a dream day - utterly bizarre and surreal. My alarm went off at 6 am. I was having a really odd dream when it went off and I dreamt the numbers were a strange Japanese symbol instead of the normal numerals. Instead of just hitting snooze, I turned off my alarm.

An hour later, my phone rang. It was my mom calling to tell me she was on her way over to pick me up to take me downtown. So I basically ran around like a chicken with my head cut off to get ready for work. I had intended to watch some of the news this morning before going to work. I didn't watch any of the RNC Monday night and I had no idea even what had happened locally in regards to the convention.

I ended up downtown around 7:25. I wasn't scheduled to start until 8:30. There were lots of my fellow employees downtown, but not a protester or Republican in sight. It seemed like a normal Tuesday except for the streets around the building I work in being closed off, the fencing along all of the streets and the cops on ever corner. I read the newspaper while I waited to start work. It's amazing to me that the protests are happening here. It just doesn't seem like the sort of thing that Minnesotans would do. I don't like hearing about people taunting and attacking police officers, breaking windows and slashing car tires. I just can't imagine how people can justify ruining other people's property. I mean, I am very much anti-war and want the troops to come home, I just don't think breaking a department store's window or throwing a urine bomb at a cop is the best solution to this problem.

Work was alternately insanely busy or terribly slow. I had mandatory overtime so I was stuck at work until 7. But fortunately, the traffic problems were pretty much non-existent so I was home by 7:40, even after being picked up at 7:20, which was nice. The evening's massive riot happened starting at 6 pm and was completely cleared up by the time I got off work.

A friend of mine called and said she had seen on the news where they had pepper sprayed some people who were just walking down the street, and a few journalists covering the protests have been arrested as well. I suppose it wouldn't be an RNC without some illegal arrests.

The Daily Show is broadcasting from St. Paul, which is awesome. It's the best part of the convention being here, imho. I wish I could have gotten tickets. I wonder if they know that the building across the street from where they're broadcasting from is now owned by the Church of Scientology.

No comments: